- Walterdale Theatre’s annual new play festival, From Cradle to Stage, features Guenevere by John Richardson and Portrait of a Family Dinner by Tessa Simpson and runs May 15 – 21.
- Nicole Moeller’s latest, The Preacher, The Princess, and a Crow runs at the Backstage Theatre May 18 – 27.
- The Lady from the Sea by Henrik Ibsen runs at the Timms Centre for the Arts May 18 – 27.
- Northern Light Theatre’s Bonnie & Clyde: the Two Person, Six Gun Musical runs at the PCL Studio May 4 – 21.
- Only three more performances of this season of Die Nasty: The Live Improvised Soap Opera left – May 15, 22, and 29.
Applications & auditions
- Theatre Network is looking for a Festival Assistant to help out with NextFest. The deadline to apply is May 19.
- Alberta Opera is looking for submissions to its New Musicals Program by May 31.
- The Citadel Theatre is holding auditions for Mama Mia! which will run Feb. 17 – March 18, 2018.
Northern Light Theatre
So much is going on with Northern Light Theatre right now that they get their own section!
- Liz Nicholls has the scoop on Northern Light Theatre’s 2017/2018 season: The Virgin, The Whore, Something In-Between.
- Northern Light Theatre’s Battle for the Limelight is back for the third year! Early bird registrations are open until May 31 – contact NLT for more information.
- NLT’s annual online auction closes May 21 – there are a tonne of great items up for bid, as usual.
- Last week’s What It Is Podcast episode covers North West Fest (now over) and Bonnie & Clyde: The Two Person, Six-Gun Musical.
- Love this graphic Elizabeth Wilkie tweeted about the representation of women in the various aspects of theatre.
- Walterdale Theatre is hosting a workshop on lighting with Kevin Humphrey (who spent over a decade touring the world with Ronnie Burkett Theatre of Marionettes as his designer and Director of Lighting) on June 3. The cost is $25 or free for Walterdale members.
What else is going on?
- Congratulations to John Hudson on your upcoming induction into the Salute to Excellence Arts & Culture Hall of Fame.
- Know that festival season is coming up, but aren’t quite sure of the details on all the festivals? Mack Male has got you covered with his annual summer festivals guide, this year published through Taproot.
- I also stumbled across this article on The 11 Coolest Secret Things to Do In Edmonton. I can’t verify to “coolness” of the list, but there’s a lot on there I didn’t know about!
- Tix on the Square has overhauled its website again, and so far it seems more usable than the last one.