Goings on in Edmonton theatre for April 17 – 30
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella takes to the Jubilee’s stage April 18 – 23.
- Chris Craddock’s adaptation of Miriam Toews’ novel Irma Voth is last in Theatre Network’s 2017 mainstage series. Irma Voth runs April 18 – May 7.
- Matthew Mackenzie’s latest, Bone Wars: The Curse of the Pathological Palaeontologists, is next up for Punctuate! Theatre, running April 20 – 30 at the Backstage Theatre.
- Stage Struck! 2017 runs at La Cité Francophone April 21 and 22 and features:
- Overtones by Alice Gerstenberg
- Next Sunday by Clare Mullen
- Bed Bug Bossa Nova by Gerald Osborn
- Five Dollar Kick by Scot Robinson
- Cut! by Lyle Victor Albert
- Tom Woods’ adaptation of Jane Austen’s Sense & Sensibility runs April 22 – May 14 at the Citadel Theatre.
- Shadow Theatre closes out their season with Art by Yasmina Reza April 26 – May 14.
- Peter and the Starcatcher closes at the Citadel April 23.
- I had the chance to see this show a few weeks ago – here’s what I thought.
- Mark O’Rowe’s Terminus, directed by Jim Guedo, runs at the PCL Studio until April 23.
- I was honoured to be nominated for a Mayor’s Celebration of the Arts Award. Check out the full list of nominees from the Journal and get your tickets through YEGlive.ca if you plan on attending.
- Theatre Network’s Spring Fling was a success! Looks like it was a great night.
- Walterdale Theatre announced their 2017/2018 season:
- A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen (translation by Michael Meyer)
- Shatter by Trina Davies
- The Women by Clare Boothe Luce
- Blue Stockings by Jessica Swale
- From Cradle to Stage: An Evening of New Works
- Next to Normal – Books & Lyrics by Brian Yorkey, Music by Tom Kitt
It’s beginning to feel a lot like summer…
Okay, maybe not actually with the snow that came down this weekend, but check out all this festival news!
- Make Something Edmonton’s 100in1day project returns June 3. Submit your ideas by 11:59 p.m. on May 26 to get involved!
- The NextFest Arts Company released a banner for their 2017 festival on Facebook. This year’s festival will be June 1 – 11.
- The Edmonton International Jazz Festival announced double bill headliners: Dianne Reeves and the Billy Childs Quartet, playing June 25.
The search for space
Here are a few news items that might help out nonprofits looking for space:
- The City of Edmonton is now taking applications from nonprofits who want to lease space at the former MacEwan Arts Campus.
- SpaceFinder Alberta, a partnership between Arts Habitat Edmonton and Calgary Arts Development, currently has 60 venues listed in the Capital Region, with the goal of reaching 250 by the end of this summer. Have space? List it! Need space? Check out what venues have been listed!
- I love almost everything Paula Simon writes, including this piece on whether or not Shakespeare should be included in the Alberta education curriculum. I haven’t read the report, but from what she says, it sounds like some pretty sketchy manipulation of statistics to me.
- I really enjoyed Alex Ross’ piece The Fate of the Critic in the Clickbait Age in the New Yorker.