Happy International Day of Happiness, everyone! Get out and enjoy some of the great theatre now playing in our city, the beautiful weather, or the extra hour of daylight we’ve been getting… whatever makes you happy!
You may have noticed things getting a little… inconsistent around here. Non-blog-related things have been taking priority lately, so, this week’s Edmonton downstage will cover the next two weeks.
- Trinity Players is presenting The Music Man at Holy Trinity Anglican Church (10037 – 34 avenue) March 23 – 26.
- Fringe cult hit The Fall of the House of Atreus by Jessy Ardern returns at the Backstage Theatre March 23 – April 2.
- Hey Ladies! returns to The Roxy on Gateway March 24.
- Firefly Theatre and Circus’ Panache pt. Deux: The Triumph of the Ponce takes to the “stage” March 24 – 26.
- The world première of Colleen Murphy’s Bright Burning, developed as part of her three-year residency at the University of Alberta’s drama department. Bright Burning plays March 30 – April 8.
- Trinity Players is also mounting Jesus Christ Superstar at Holy Trinity Anglican Church for one night only, on Saturday April 1.
- Peter and the Starcatcher opens at the Citadel on April 1 and runs until April 23.
- Bevin Dooley’s Deadstock gets a reading at Script Salon on April 2.
- Theatre Yes and Greenpeace team up for Gravity: A Celebration of Art and Politics on April 3 at the Metro Cinema. The event celebrates “art, politics, and the ‘gravity’ of our times as some of Edmonton’s finest theatre, dance, and visual artists join together for one raucous night celebrating all things political.”
- Crazy for You closes its hilarious run at the Citadel ends March 26.
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church is now accepting applications for 3 BYOV spaces during Fringe.
- Fringe applications are due today, March 20 at 5:00 p.m.!
- Artisan vendor applications are due on March 31, as are food vendor applications
- Fringe Theatre Adventures is hiring a Volunteer Services Coordinator. Applications are due on March 27.
- Walterdale Theatre’s latest newsletter gives the scoop on their upcoming Queen Milli of Galt and their search for an interim treasurer.
- SkirtsAfire herArts Festival announced they had a record-breaking festival this year, with over 1400 attendees. Congratulations!
- I’m sure you’ve heard by now that Penny Ritco is retiring as the Citadel’s Executive Director, so the Citadel has now started searching to fill the Executive Director position.
- Budget day in Alberta delivered a $5 million increase to the Alberta Foundation for the Arts.
- Theatre Network is ready for its Spring Fling on March 23, which will be hosted by Sarah Chan!
- Northern Light Theatre is hosting a Tiki Night Fundraiser on April 1 at Fabloomosity Floral Atelier (10947 – 120 street), or you can donate to their Canada Helps page.
- Catalyst Theatre’s fundraiser, Over the Edge with 4 Play, returns April 28.
World Theatre Day
- World Theatre Day is March 27! How are you celebrating?
- Maybe by buying tickets to the Mayor’s Celebration of the Arts, on May 1