Hello September! I hope everyone had an awesome summer, a fun Fringe and is getting ready for the upcoming theatre season. As you are looking ahead to the 2016/2017 theatre season, make sure you check out Theatre Alberta’s Playbill, which is my favourite resource to find out what’s happening when & where.
- The What It Is Podcast is back with episode 114: Available on Cassette Tape with interviews with Jesse Northey and Julie Kiraly.
- Die-Nasty’s annual Soap-A-Thon (50 hours straight of live, improvised soap opera) is back September 16 – 18 at the Varscona Theatre. This year’s theme is Airport 1975!
- Toy Guns Dance Theatre is holding auditions for their Young Company on September 18. Check out the details on Facebook.
- The Edmonton Clown Festival is coming up September 29 – October 2!
- Script Salon (APN’s monthly reading of new plays at Holy Trinity Anglican Church) has announced their 2016/2017 schedule. I couldn’t find it online, so here it is. Make sure you sign up
- October 2 – David Haas’ Crazy Train
- Nov 6, 2016 Leslea Kroll’s Wellspring and Rod MacPherson’s Naked Tourists, Sacred Mountain
- Dec 4, 2016 Conni Massing’s Oh! Christmas Tree
- Jan 1, 2017 Vern Thiessen’s Pugwash
- Feb 5, 2017 Collin Doyle’s Slumberland Motel
- Mar 5, 2017 Althea Cunningham’s Sweet and Nice (a presentation in partnership with Equity in the Theatre)
- Apr 2, 2017 Bevin Dooley’s Deadstock (winner of the Alberta Playwriting Competition Novitiate Award 2016)
- May 7, 2017 Reed McColm’s The Wrong People Have Money
- June 4, 2017 David Belke and Margaret Macpherson’s Who Goes There?
- July 2, 2017 Matthew “Gus” Gusul’s Virgin on the Prairies
- Aug 6, 2017 Gordon Pengilly’s Flesh & Ghost
- It’s back! SkirtOberfest 2016, a fundraiser in support of SkirtsAfire herArts Festival, returns October 22. I’m on the board of SkirtsAfire and help organize our annual fall fundraiser. This year we’re doing a Bavarian theme, with sweet & savoury pretzels and a beer tasting! Tickets are $30 in advance, $40 at the door – we’ve sold out two years in a row, so be sure to get your tickets early!