Happy leap day, y’all and happy week of 5 theatre show openings. There is something for everyone opening this week and with temperatures going back down below 0, more reasons than ever to go see a play. Here’s what’s happening:
- Opening this week:
- New company Cardiac Theatre is producing Ella Hicksons’ Hot Mess at El Cortez, March 2 – 12.
- Johanna Adams’ Gidion’s Knot – a 2015 Edmonton Fringe Hit – is back as part of SkirtsAfire herArts Festival, running March 3 – 13 at the Alberta Avenue Community League.
- I had a great chat with Liana Shannon and Amber Lewis, who star in Gidion’s Knot.
- Pyretic Productions’ The Other by Matthew Mackenzie runs March 3 – 13, with free student previews (with i.d.) March 1 and 2.
- Want to get pumped? Check out my preview, where I interview Matthew.
- This is War by Hannah Moscovitch runs at the PCL Studio March 3 – 13.
- I had such a good time chatting with Andréa Jorawsky, one of the actors in the show. Check out my preview of the show.
- The Plain Janes are putting up Wish You Were Here: The Ultimate Traveller’s Guide to the World at the Backstage Theatre March 4 – 12.
- It’s not a play (yet), but APN’s Script Salon returns March 6 at 7:30 at Holy Trinity Anglican Church (10037 84 avenue). This month’s play reading is The Mommy Monologues, which “breaks the stereotype of our idea of mothers, surprising us with eleven women and all the men and children between them, each in life changing circumstances, a window into the lives of ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, not so different from our own. ” The monologues are written by Beth Graham, Andrea House, Katherine Koller, Annette Loiselle, Conni Massing, Nicole Moeller, Mieko Ouchi, Dana Rayment, Glenda Sterling, Michele Vance Hehir and Cat Walsh.
- Closing this week:
- Nothing – everything is opening!
- The Citadel’s Alice Through the Looking-Glass started its run this week and officially opens on Thursday, March 3, running until March 20.
- The 2016 Banff Playwrights Colony participants have been announced, including Edmonton’s Mieko Ouchi and Joshua Languedoc.
- Congrats to Send in the Girls, whose show Bust ‘Em Up Burlesque has had another show added to their run March 16 – 19.
- Not really a theatre thing, but Opera Nuova now has a blog. Welcome to the blogosphere!
- Not local theatre news, but there is going to be a site-specific, immersive play in Toronto about Target Canada’s exit from the market based on interviews with staff members who lost their jobs when the retailer closed its Canadian stores. This sounds like a great project.