Edmonton downstage | 07.06.2015
- Closing this week:
A Man of No Importance at Walterdale Theatre until July 12. Check out my thoughts on the show and Kristen’s.
- You probably saw social media posts about the letter Daniel Hughes (or rather, his primary support person) received from Fringe Theatre Adventures rejecting his application to continue volunteering as a Friendraiser during the Fringe Festival, as he has for several years. The letter said the disability Daniel has means he doesn’t have the correct ‘skill set’ for the position. Several other Fringe volunteers who have disabilities also received similar letters. Sunday afternoon, Fringe Theatre Adventures’ President & Board Chair, posted to Facebook saying rejecting Daniel’s application was a mistake and that they’ll be reaching out to Daniel again to find ‘a meaningful volunteer opportunity’ for him and promising to work towards being more inclusive. See the story from the Edmonton Sun or the Edmonton Journal.
- The Freewill Shakespeare Festival continues this week. John had some great thoughts on the production of Coriolanus.
- The What It Is podcast released a bonus episode last week – an interview with comedian Lars Callieou.
- The calls for artists for upcoming Fringe shows are coming out fast and furious!
- I was walking by the Varscona last week and took this picture of the progress of the construction
Varscona Theatre, June 29, 2015