- Opening this week:
- Improvaganza 2015 – June 17 – 27, Rapid Fire Theatre’s annual showcase of Edmontonian, Canadian, and international improvisers.
- Elope Musical Theatre’s Guys and Dolls, at the Timms Centre June 18 – 27.
- The Nuova Opera & Music Theatre Festival kicks off this week. This year the festival features:
- Our Town running June 19 – 21 at Fort Edmonton Park
- Oklahoma! running at Festival Place June 26, 27, 28 and July 1
- Dead Man Walking running at Festival place June 30, and July 2, 3, and 4.
- Season announcements are starting to roll out:
- The Citadel’s Beyond the Stage series, and the 50th Anniversary Special Presentation Series, which includes 6 made-in-Edmonton cabarets, including shows by Rapidfire Theatre, Send in the Girls, and Catch the Keys
- The UofA’s Studio Theatre season, including a new commissioned piece by Hannah Moscavitch, whose plays I binged on last year.
- Shadow Theatre’s 2015/2016 season, which includes a remount of the Fringe 2013 hit, A Picasso, this time starring Alana Hawley and Julien Arnold.
- Workshop West‘s 2015/2016 season announcement is this Thursday, June 18 at Brittany’s Lounge (10225 – 97 street) from 5:00 – 7:00.
- NextFest 2015 may be over, but the audio archive of all things NextFest will live on through the NXTFST Podcast, created by the same guys behind the What It Is Podcast.
- Tickets for the Freewill Shakespeare Festival are now on sale – this year’s productions are As You Like It and Coriolanus. Freewill’s June newsletter also contains details on some special initiatives that are part of this year’s festival: a weekly puppet show and a cask night on July 4.
- Construction is in full swing on the Varscona Theatre
And now they have opened her right up. #rebuildvarscona #yegtheatre pic.twitter.com/qFCnooOJQQ
— The Varscona Theatre (@VarsconaTheatre) June 10, 2015
- And one more tweet – the Freewill Players were at the downtown farmer’s market a couple weekends ago doing As You Like It in 2 minutes or less! Very excited to get back into Hawrelak Park for this year’s Freewill Shakespeare Festival, featuring As You Like It and Coriolanus.
Great day at @CityMarket104 . @FreewillPlayers doing #Asyoulikeit in 2min or less. #yegtheatre pic.twitter.com/dKlYnfI7j7
— Elena Porter (@pleiades42) June 6, 2015